Special Mentoring Resources & Services
for ILLINOIS Educators
Updated October 2001
A COMMITMENT TO ILLINOIS EDUCATION
Barry Sweeny, President of Best Practice Resources, has been an Illinois teacher and administrator for 22 years and then worked for 6 years at two Regional Offices of Education in Illinois. He has also been a part of the three year effort to establish mandated, state-funded induction for new teachers. He lives in Wheaton, Illinois and is very committed to making education in Illinois all it can be.
WHY A WEB PAGE JUST FOR ILLINOIS EDUCATORS??
Barry has served on all three of the Illinois State Board of Education Teacher Induction Panels meeting in 1998, 1999, and 2000. These panels have researched quality new teacher induction and mentoring programs all over the world and have developed recommendations for the ISBE and Illinois General Assembly proposing mandated mentoring programs and mentoring for every initially certified teacher in Illinois. Barry was a co-author of each of these panels final reports.
Barry's knowledge of these developments led him to create this section of the web site to help Illinois educators find out about these proposed changes and to locate the resources and assistance they need to address this emerging initiative. You do not want to begin learning how to deal with this challenge should it become the law. Proactive educators and schools should take full advantage now of these resources to improve the ways in which you address the needs of your beginning teachers and support their success.
WHAT'S GOING ON IN ILLINOIS TEACHER MENTORING & INDUCTION?
WHAT'S THE OUTLOOK RIGHT NOW? (Fall 2000)
- The following statements are all agreed on by the ISBE, IEA and IFT , as well as the Office of Governor Ryan:
- The General Assembly and Governor Ryan recognize the critical link between new teacher induction programs, increasing new teacher performance, and ensuring that new teachers can meet standard certification requirements.
- Members of the General Assembly have been identified who will submit the bill for the program and funding.
- No vote can be taken on this topic now because it requires a big financial investment by the state at a time when revenue is dropping.
- If a vote could be taken now, and if sufficient revenue were available, the program and some level of funding would be approved.
- The bill was submitted in spring 2001 to the Illinois General Assembly, but action was stalled for lack of support at that time..
BOOKMARK THIS WEB SITE AND STOP BACK OCCASIONALLY FOR AN UPDATE.
RESOURCES FOR ILLINOIS INDUCTION PROGRAMS
BEST PRACTICE RESOURCES EVENTS TO SUPPORT ILLINOIS INDUCTION PROGRAMS
Need any of these events to be held in your area now? No problem. Call Barry Sweeny at 630-668-2605.
Best Practice Resources has planned the following conferences and workshop series anticipating that, AT SOME TIME, the Illinois General Assembly will adopt state-wide induction as a mandate. If that occurs the following series of events will be provided. If it does not happen, we will still provide the Best Practice Annual Conferences each April. Please note, the dates & places for all these events are TBD.
MENTORING & INDUCTION CONFERENCES - Click on this title for info about:
- "Developing, Evaluating & Improving a Teacher Mentoring Program to Deliver a Higher Impact"
- "The Mentor Training of Trainers"
- "Leadership & Mentoring of Mentors Strategies for Mentor Program Coordinators"
- The "Best Practices in Teacher Mentoring & Induction" Annual Conference V, April 2002
INDUCTION LEADERSHIP WORKSHOP SERIES - This series will be offered in northern and central Illinois as interest dictates.
- Developing a High Impact Teacher Induction Program - What you need to know to save yourself tons of money and time! 1 day, provides the essential framework for an effective program, recommendations for program leadership, the suggested steps in the process, and hints for funding and sustaining the program
- The Components of a High Impact Teacher Induction Program - Learn the proven best practices that will actually save you money and time! 1 day, provides details about the 7 essential components needed for an induction program that results in more effective teaching and increased student learning. Have an EXISTING program? Learn how to make it more effective. Need a NEW program? Learn how to save yourself years of trial and error learning.
- How to Assess New Teacher & Organizational Needs & Evaluate Induction Program Results - Acquire the tools and strategies you need to create a powerful, effective program and to demonstrate the results you achieve. 1 day.
- How to Lead an Effective Mentor Training - Train the Trainers - Worried that your mentors may not produce the results you need? It is a possibility because high impact mentoring is a unique professional practice! Get all the materials and guidance you need to make sure that your mentors know what they must do and know how to do it well! Learn the process for training, all the content and activities you need, even the over head masters and a script to coordinate it all. You can't miss with this proven package. 1 day.
- High Impact Induction Program Leadership Strategies - Learn the secrets of the best induction leaders for ensuring that mentoring actually promotes new teacher AND mentor professional growth AND improves teaching and student learning. Become highly effective and certified as a "Mentor of Mentors". Learn strategies for leading induction groups and working with individuals, and for monitoring and improving your program's impact. 1 day.
- The Critical Role of School Administrators in Induction - Principals, assistant principals, and other administrators who supervise building administrators need these powerful strategies. Learn how to assess new teacher needs and problems, increase new teacher success and retention, and make distinctions between your support and evaluation roles. Learn how to use professional development goals, action plans and portfolios to promote accelerated teacher growth. Learn the qiestioningstrategies that ensure improved teaching performance and student learning. Gain specific methods for both respecting mentor pair confidences AND for leading new teachers and mentors to support your agendas for their improvement.
NEW TEACHER MENTOR & COACHING TRAINING
- Don't have very many mentors? Can't train your own mentors? Wonder what expert mentor training looks like? Here's your solution!
- Three days of proven advice, clear guidelines, demonstrations, and practice of the effective mentoring strategies your mentors need to be successful:
- Assessing and addressing new teacher needs
- The roles and tasks of effective mentors
- How to build a trusting, confidential mentoring relationship that promotes growth
- The high impact questions that mentors need to ask their proteges
- Learn your own mentoring style and needs for growth as a mentor
- How the process of mentoring changes as the protege develops
- Dealing positively with tricky situations
- How mentors can remain non-evaluative and still prompt nbew teacher development
- The strategies mentors need to lead high impact coaching conferences
- How to observe teaching and collect helpful data
- How to use observation data to prompt professional growth
- Leave the training confident of your ability to be a high impact mentor!