The Conference on
March 14-16th, 2003
At the Tropicana Resort in exciting Las Vegas, Nevada
Co-sponsored by Clark County School District
If you have a NEW or an EXISTING program and want to be sure that new
teacher mentoring & induction really lead to better teaching and
improved student learning, this unique 3 day workshop is for YOU!
We promise, you will not be disappointed.
Join us at the Tropicana Resort & Casino
in WARM and exciting Las Vegas, Nevada
Featured speaker, Barry Sweeny, nationally known mentoring expert, trainer & author !
Click here to complete the Conference Registration Form & Get Hotel Info for this Conference.
- Return to the Main Conference Page -
A Brief Outline of the Workshop
The Potential Audience, - Find out if these workshops are for YOU - (Scroll down this page or click on the titles for greater details)
This outstanding and unique workshop includes:
The Potential Audience
Come one, come all. These workshops are designed to meet your needs whether you want to improve an existing program or are developing a new program! Appropriate for both induction mentoring and peer mentoring to support implementation of training.
- Mentor program coordinators
- New teacher mentors
- School and Central Office administrators & staff developers
- Induction committee members
- Instructional support specialists
- Teacher educators
- Field-based program faculty
- Student teacher supervisors
- Academic deans and other faculty
- Intermediate Education Service Center Coordinators
- Mentor trainers
- Anyone interested in the support and success of new teachers and their students!
|"Designing, Evaluating & Improving Mentoring & Induction Programs and Practices so They Deliver a Higher Impact on Teacher Performance & Student Learning"
> Friday, March 14 through Sunday, March 16, 2003, Each day's schedule is:
- 8:00 - 8:30 AM Continental breakfast & sign-in
- 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM - Workshop, presented by Barry Sweeny.
3 Days of IN-DEPTH, integrated learning, demonstrations, practice, and planning about BOTH high impact programs and high impact mentoring practices & training -
Effective teaching is complex. Facilitating the learning of someone who is becoming an effective teacher is complex too. Whether you are a mentor or induction program coordinator, this workshop will help you learn the secrets of success. The workshop INTEGRATES the information you need to develop a mentoring program and mentoring practices which result in highly effective teachers and improved student performance too!
RECEIVE THE PRACTICAL GUIDANCE AND CUSTOMIZED CONSULTING YOU NEED.
BRING A TEAM AND WHATEVER PROGRAM INFORMATION YOU NEED TO WORK, PLAN AND DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT STEPS. ACCELERATE YOUR PROGRAM IMPROVEMENT PROCESS.
Workshop Objectives - Workshop participants will:
- Learn the "High Impact Teacher Induction Program Model" and practical advice for new teacher and for mentor development
- Assess their own program needs and apply the High Impact Mentor Program and Training Model:
- NEW program teams will set program goals, plan program components and mentor training & support to attain those goals, and plan the implementation and evaluation of their program design.
- EXISTING program teams will revisit their program's goals, compare their own induction and mentoring program and mentor training against the High Impact Model, plan specific improvements to their program's components and activities, and map the implementation and evaluation of their plans
- Access and apply the ideas and experience of the presenter and other induction and mentoring program representatives at the conference.
- Return home with a plan of action to improve the impact of their program, mentor training, and mentoring practices.
Format - The workshop design uses a repeating cycle to address program components, including:
Presentation and demonstration of:
- The best practices for the program component
- The best implementation process for the component
- How the component contributes to a high impact program & to improved teaching and student learning
- Expert advice for self-assessment and using the information to plan improvements
- Whole group discussion and sharing of experience and ideas regarding the component
- Time for your team to review the information, assess your needs, and design or improve program components
- Expert consulting with your team during the team work times
Content - Barry will share from his 15 years of experience as a trainer, program coordinator, author, and consultant working in mentoring nation-wide with all kinds of organizations. Whether you have an existing program or are developing a new program, this work shop will amaze you with terrific practical strategies to increase your program's power and impact. This 3 day workshop will address:
- Deciding program purpose & setting measurable goals
- Designing your program so it will achieve your goals and impact teaching and student achievement
- The critical components needed for a high impact program
- The research on the needs of new teachers and the impact of quality mentoring on those needs
- How to design needs assessments to guide program planning and training for your proteges and mentors
- Using the characteristics of effective mentors and proteges to improve your program and mentoring
- Critical distinctions in roles: "buddies", mentors, peer coaches, induction, orientation
- The most effective processes for program design and phased program implementation
- Effective strategies for selecting, matching & dealing with mismatches
- How to train mentors to assist novices AND guide improvement of their teaching & students' learning, including:
- How mentors assess and address the needs of their specific protege
- How to build the trusting, confidential mentor-protege relationship
- How to keep communication positive, clear, non-evaluative, and helpful
- The most effective mentoring process
- How to adjust mentoring strategies during the mentoring process as the protege develops
- Assessing mentoring style and planning areas for mentor growth
- How to ensure that mentors also grow as a teacher
- How to ensure that mentoring promotes improved student growth
- The best solutions for the most tricky mentoring challenges and conflict resolution
- How to promote mentor and protege self assessment, reflection, goal setting, and action planning
- Advice about training mentors as coaches for instructional improvement
- Best practices for on-going mentor support & improvement of mentoring practices
- Strategies for striking the delicate balance among mentor incentives, support, and recognition
- Proven, practical strategies to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of your program
- How to demonstrate the impact and value of your program to decision makers and nonparticipants
- Strategies to sustain your program long-term
Receive FREE copies of Barry's publications packages:
- "Developing a High Impact Teacher Induction Program" - worth $117!
"High Impact Mentor Training Set" a $125 value!! including:
- The Mentor Training Manual
- Overhead masters
- Mentoring check lists and monthly mentoring reminder sheets
- A training activities plan
- Directions for leading all training activities
- The Mentor Journal,
- A license to duplicate these materials for use in your program.
Breaks and snacks are provided each morning and afternoon.
See the mentoring materials display
FREE- 30 Min. Private Consultation Appointments for the first 4 conference teams who register for them
DINNERS on your own.
From 5:00 to 6:00 PM - Two 30 minute appointments are available on March 14 and 15, 2003, a total of FOUR opportunities.
| FREE- Private Consultation Appointments
Conference attendees who choose to do so may register separately for 30 minute consulting/problem-solving appointments with Barry Sweeny to discuss and get advice on your specific program and needs. NOTE - Only one person on a team need reserve an appointment time, but all team members may attend the appointment.
- What problem do you need to overcome to make your program more powerful? Find out how to solve it.
- What are the challenges for which you need effective strategies? Learn from the expert.
- In what ways do YOU need to grow as a program leader? Get practical guidance from Barry.
- If you'd like, send Barry program materials and your questions to review IN ADVANCE of the conference to maximize your 30 minute appointment time.
This service is OPTIONAL & IS NOT an automatic part of the conference for every participant. Only the first 4 to register for the appointments will receive them, so register early!!
| A Display of Mentoring Program Materials
Conference participants will have the opportunity to:
- Review descriptive program guides and new teacher manuals from many mentoring & induction programs from across the North America.
- Review many commercially published books on effective mentoring and summaries of mentoring research.
- Collect flyers from mentoring programs, mentoring organizations, and about how to acquire the other mentoring materials.
- See materials, objects, and awards mentor programs have used to formally recognize and reward mentor program participants, and to welcome new staff
- Review and order other Best Practice Resources publications at a conference discounted price.
Return to the TOP of the Page